Woodland Hills Private School (WHPS) families,
We are proud to have served your family during the past school year. Because WHPS constantly strives to provide an outstanding educational experience, we take your feedback seriously. We would like to share some results from this year’s end of school year survey, which enables us to identify notable areas of strength as well as areas for future development.
- STRENGTHS -
The survey findings indicate a high level of satisfaction among parents: 98.45% of all respondents stated they are likely to recommend our program to another family.
Top strengths that were identified:
- 99% of families reported that WHPS nurtures their son/daughter's self esteem.
“[The best thing about WHPS is] the fact that my kids know everyone and feel comfortable and loved at the school. They walk with confidence and truly love going, that's all I can ask for, thank you!”
- 98% of families whose child graduated from WHPS reported that their child was well-prepared for their next school environment.
Over 90% of families cited the following strengths of the school:
- The teachers understand my child’s individual needs and employ effective techniques to aid learning.
“[The best thing about WHPS is]the caring administration and teachers. They are all nurturing and wonderful. My child has grown as an individual and has learned many important life lessons.”
- WHPS provides a balanced, developmentally appropriate educational program.
“[The best thing about WHPS is]the sense of community and balance between academics and a loving, nurturing environment. Individualized attention/learning & groups based on abilities.”
- WHPS developed my child's critical thinking skills.
- WHPS offers well-equipped classrooms with educationally appropriate equipment and materials.
- WHPS was responsive to any concerns I expressed about my child’s progress.
- WHPS teachers and administration were open to suggestions.
- WHPS provides appropriate opportunities for parent involvement in the school.
Specific to the Elementary Division
- 82% of families reported that their child took part in advanced academics this year.
“[The best thing about WHPS is] the attention put on customized education programs, so that students who are advanced or a little slower can move to higher or lower grades as needed for particular subjects.”
- There were a few families in our elementary program who had checked out other private, public or charter school options in the past two years. 95% of these families reported that compared to other schools, WHPS is stronger at teacher attention to individual student needs.
- AREAS FOR FUTURE DEVELOPMENT -
We have also learned about areas in which you want to see us do more.
BUILDINGS AND FACILITY
While many families appreciate our focus on the outdoor classroom and the Animal & Nature Center (Oxnard campus), several parents expressed that they would like to see some upgrades to the aesthetic of the preschool buildings and classrooms. We agree and have spent this past school year planning some exciting improvements to take place over the summer and the following school year.
- Campus Beautification & New Music Wall
Throughout this year, the Collins campus will receive updated lighting and enhancements to our outdoor learning spaces, including the addition of a new music wall.
- Technology and Infrastructure
The campus has received upgrades to the wireless network and overall technology infrastructure, including each classroom receiving upgraded computers, to better support the needs of teachers and students in the classroom.
Rooms 1-7 are receiving all new flooring and updates to the bathrooms. Also, construction has just wrapped up in Room 6, which now has a brand new bathroom and open concept floor plan.
The interior of the elementary building has just been freshly painted and spruced up. Updated furniture is coming soon.
Our entire elementary school collection will be leveled according to the Columbia University Teachers College system that underpins our literacy program. In addition, the space will become more modular, allowing for a variety of flexible uses.
The computer lab is being overhauled as a mobile learning and maker space. Our 3-D printing system will be located in the lab, and we are upgrading our laptops, which will be housed in the lab and can be used anywhere on campus.
STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts & Math)
Building on our educational philosophy of providing the right balance between rigorous academics and social-emotional learning, we have some truly inspirational enhancements in store. All divisions are expanding the STEAM emphasis in their programs.
LEADERSHIP - “The Leader in Me”
Next year’s annual theme in the Elementary Division, The Leader in Me, is designed to promote leadership habits in the entire school community. Leadership is the umbrella term to encompass the many character traits and basic life competencies that parents, business leaders, and educators are voicing as the desired skills necessary to thrive in the 21st century (below). Emphasis will be on The 7 Habits of Happy Children (adapted from Stephen Covey’s 7 Habits of Highly Effective People).
The program focuses on the following competencies and skills:
- Critical Thinking and Problem Solving
- Creativity and Innovation
- Executive Functioning
- Communication and Collaboration
- Flexibility and Adaptability
- Initiative and Self-Direction
- Social and Cross-Cultural Skills
- Leadership and Responsibility
TEACHER AVAILABILITY IN THE MORNING (Elementary Division)
We have found that some mornings, prior to our 8:00 a.m. start time, parents wish they had more opportunities to converse with their child’s teacher. Teachers were sometimes inside setting up for the day and weren’t always readily available before 8:00 a.m. For next year, we have adjusted the schedule so there will always be a teacher from every classroom on the playground from 7:45-8:00 a.m.
- THANK YOU FOR YOUR FEEDBACK -
Your feedback and opinions are incredibly important to us. While there are many ideas we would love to incorporate, we are not able to do everything right away. It is our sincere desire to continue to have excellent two-way communication with you, and please know that the administration is always at your disposal for any questions, comments or concerns.